Monday, June 29, 2015

Packing

I am very grateful to Spirit Airlines for their baggage rules.  We are allowed to carry on one item at no extra charge, that is a maximum of 12" x 14" x 16".  They have a box of that dimension at the airport, and your carry on must fit in that box with no overhang; no exceptions.  If you want to bring something larger than that, you can for a nominal feel of $100.  The reason I am grateful is that I like to travel light.  It simplifies everything.

Of course my wife, who is legendary for her ability to force the round peg in the square hole, thinks that a backpack that is 12 x 14 x 19 (and rigid) will probably be okay, because she is pretty sure she could stuff it in their box.


I am 6' tall and my wife is 5' tall, so her clothes are smaller than mine and take up less space.  Ergo, her bag should have less in it than mine.  This is not the case.  I'll have to make this a contest.  She is very competitive, and if the person with the smaller bag wins, she will lighten up her load for sure. 

Of course, if she finds out that my motive is to manipulate her we'll probably end up paying $100 for her extra large suitcase.

4 comments:

  1. Is that EngageNY math your using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A close reading seems to indicate…. I need an evidence flag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So don't leave us hanging! Did the competition work or was Kathy on to your manipulative ways?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't have to pay more! Our bags all fit the acceptable, free size and I still brought everything I wanted. It wasn't until we were here in Guatemala that Jeff realized we girls all brought sandals too - in addition to the sneakers we were wearing. A success all around - got to bring what we packed and didn't pay more. :-)

      Delete