Thursday, July 9, 2015

El Mercado

Today Lynn had class in the morning because her teacher was working a different job in the afternoon, and Jeff and I (Kathy) taught English from 9:30-11.  So... Brooke stayed at the house with her Mayan mama, Marta (we've changed her name to Mayan mama since it's a better description.)

This morning our Mayan mama came and helped me (Brooke) put on the traditional clothing many women here still wear. Before you try this at home, beware, it is very tight (I had indents on my stomach when I took it off). Marta came and knocked on my door around 10 am and we headed off to the market. Marta showed me off to her friends and started chatting - none of which I understood so I just smiled. She had me go up to the venders at the market and ask how much everything cost and then tell them how much we were going to buy (a pound of green beans, onions, and two carrots). After we bought the veggies we went and bought some salsa, and Marta bought be a slice of pineapple. After this we went and visited two out of six of her sisters at her sisters hair salon, chatted for a bit (they were saying something about me), and then walked home.

When we got home Marta had me cutting vegetables. Marta's nephew, Irving, came and joined us in the kitchen - although he ate instead of cooked. He tried to talk to me (as he is learning English in college in Guatemala City) and by the end he had taken google translate out. He later asked me for my Instagram username and followed me. When my mother returned from teaching, Marta filled her in on everything. How the market was and how apparently everyone was yelling about how beautiful I was (I told you I didn't understand anything). My mom continued to talk to Marta and her nephew. Since my dress was tied so tight and it was hot in the kitchen from cooking I started to not feel so well. I got dizzy and very hot and my shaking was bad as I was cutting the vegetables, so I told my mom I didn't feel well and I was going back to my room, if that was ok. She told me that was fine and continued to talk to Marta and Irving.

When we (Jeff, Lynn and me - Kathy) all returned to the house, we all had a delicious lunch.  We sat at the table with Marta for a while after lunch and learned a lot more about life in Guatemala.  Marta repeated what Caesar (in Tikal) and Rene (at Orbita Spanish School) had already told us about the Guatemalan government. The government is very corrupt and is keeping money from the citizens.  She said they give the schools $0.25 for every student which covers almost nothing.  Many people are starving and most people eat 1, maybe 2 meals a day.  Children eat a small tortilla and drink a small cup of coffee before school, and then only eat again at dinner.  She said how we ate rice, meat with vegetables, and tortillas for lunch.  Well, most Guatemalans only eat 1 thing per meal (ex: just rice, or just beans).  It is rare for a Guatemalan family to eat more than one item in a meal.  She asked about life in the United States and when we told her how some students get a free breakfast and a free lunch at school, in addition to the families getting assistance with groceries (ie: food stamps) she was amazed.  She also told us about the corrupt vice-president and said that she (the former vice-president) owns 6 huge mansions and has 6 cars.  Most of the deaths due to malnutrition in Guatemalan are deaths of children and women.  Marta said a lot of women do not eat much at all - only a small amount once a day; a small snack to us.  It was an enlightening conversation, however it was very sad.  It made us all feel guilty about the 3 large meals she is feeding us a day.  Not typical in Guatemala at all. 

Brooke, Jeff, and I went to language school in the afternoon, while Lynn stayed at the house with Marta.  She had the 4 pm "break" with Marta and Irving in Marta's kitchen.  They had coffee and cookies.  We take a break at 4 pm every day at language school, and it is apparently a custom here to take a break at 4 pm wherever you are!

At language school, Manuel taught Jeff the traditional hand slap/knuckle-touch yesterday and in turn Jeff and Brooke taught Manuel the knuckle-touch/jellyfish handshake.  Today Brooke taught Juan Carlos and Jeff got it on video tape.  Classic!


Jeff and his running buddies, Juan Carlos (left) and Manuel (right).
Kathy towers over them.  Guatemalans are not known for their height.


Tonight for dinner all three of us donned the traditional Guatemalan outfits that Marta had loaned us.  We took pictures and enjoyed a delicious dinner.  Super end to a successful day!



Chona (Marta's sister), Brooke, Kathy, Lynn, Marta

2 comments:

  1. Soooo enjoying your blog! Thanks for the updates, your experiences are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following us! We are enjoying being here, and are enjoying keeping the blog.

    ReplyDelete