Thursday, July 16, 2015

Power Outage and Shopping


Yesterday, like most days we’ve been here, the morning was sunny and clear.  By the time we began our afternoon language class, it clouded up and rained.  By nightfall it was thundering and lightning.  As a result we were without power from dinner until 7:30 am this morning.

Our morning run has come to be known as a steeplechase rather than a regular run.  This is due to…

1.        We need to watch where we place every step due to the cobblestones and the dog feces that speckle the road from the previous night. 

2.       Tuk-tuks, motorcycles, delivery trucks and the occasional car simply beep as they come up the road, expecting you to be out of their way by the time they get there.  The roads are not wide and tuk-tuks don’t like to slow down.  We were passengers in a tuk-tuk on Sunday, and witnessed a little girl plaster herself against the side of a building after hearing our horn.  That’s exactly what they expect you to do. 

3.       We have to dodge the individual or packs of dogs.  Yesterday when running a dog snarled and went for Jeff as we went by.  Although most of the dogs are friendly, you need to give them wide birth just in case. 

4.       The narrow, cobblestone streets are full of people beginning their days.  Traditional roles still exist here in Guatemala, and the morning rituals demonstrate this.  Men and boys are loaded up in the back of pick-up trucks, carrying hoes, shovels, and machetes; making their way out to the nearby fields to work for the day.  Girls and very small boys are dressed in school clothes – either traditional clothing or uniforms depending on their schools – and are heading to school with backpacks on and oftentimes lunches in their hands.  We noticed that some boys, who seemed school-age, were heading to the fields to work.  We asked Marta about this at breakfast and she said it is common for school-age boys to work in the fields during the morning and go to school during the afternoon.  Jeff can’t wait to tell his students when they complain about how hard things are for them.  Women are in traditional Guatemalan ornate clothing, carrying baskets in arms or on their heads, heading to the market for the food for the day.  Like women around the world, they are stopping along the way to catch up with friends about village happenings.  Jeff commented that this was the Facebook of San Pedro La Laguna. 

We did not teach English yesterday so that we could souvenir shop and run miscellaneous errands.  We didn’t want to wait for our last full day and need to pack up on Thursday night.  We all had things in mind we’d been wanting to buy.  We’ll have class Friday morning, eat lunch with Marta, and then be on the shuttle for Antigua at 2 pm. No time to shop then!

Brooke - At the beginning of our shopping trip we passed an open art and jewelry shop. I had been wanting to get a painting the whole trip, but never did. We all went into the shop where I found a beautiful painting of the lake and with a woman carrying material on her head and a man hauling stones on his back, just like they still do in Guatemala. I asked the woman in the shop how much it cost and she told me 260 quetles, while Lynn and my mom talked to a guy from Seattle who was up here visiting his son. Lynn and my mother told me I should think about the purchase some more and that we would have to ask dad how we could even get it home. We went around town and my mother purchased a scarf and a hand crafted bowl. My sister got a pillow case and a hand crafted bowl as well. We went back to see our Spanish mom and my mom purchased 2 towels to hold bread in (or tortillas), and Marta gave another one to my mom as a gift. She told her that she saw it at the market and thought of her. When my dad came down I asked him what he thought about the painting and what my options were. He told me he thought it was a great idea…and listed my options.

1.       Show up at the gate with it and pay $100.

2.       Pre-purchase the allowance of my painting for $40.

3.       We could check a bag and put my painting inside.

4.       Roll up the painting.

5.       Ship it home.

My father and I looked up the process of rolling up my painting, and decided that that was the best way to get my painting home, without paying a bunch of money. While my dad and I were discussing this, my mother was telling Marta the lowdown about my painting.  Marta told her that if I wanted to get the painting, she should go with us because then they would know that we were living with her so she might be able to get a deal. She also said that that was a very high price and she could probably get it lower than that.

Marta, my dad, and I headed off the purchase my painting about 10 minutes after that. Marta got the price from 260 quetzales down to 200 quetzales. How? I didn’t get all of it but I took a couple of hints from the angry glares.

“260.”

“No, no, no, look at this girl. That is a ridiculous price.”

“Who is she?”

“She’s going to language school here.”

“240.”

“*Shaking her head* I think you can go lower than that.”

“I’m not allowed to.”

“Yes you can.”

“I’ll give it to her for 215 and I will roll it for her.”

“No, no, no. I can wrap it myself. So what’s that, 200 quetzales?”

“What?! No.”

*Stare down from Marta*

“Fine, but that’s the lowest I’m going.”
Now, I have my beautiful painting for about $25, all thanks to Marta. My painting is laying in her room waiting to be rolled. When I left that store with a huge smile on my face, all I had in my head was the song “We Are The Champions.” I am probably never allowed back in that store again, but that’s ok, we leave tomorrow.


Brooke's Painting!!
At class today I (Kathy) learned a lot about Guatemala during class today.  At the end of the 2nd instruction book, there are 3 passages in Spanish for you to read (so they can hear your pronunciation) and to show your comprehension.  The first passage was about the Mayan cultures and languages.  There are 24 different Mayan languages still spoken in Guatemala.  Tzu’tujil is the language spoken in San Pedro, and it is spoken in 5 other villages around Lake Atitlan.  According to Juan Carlos, my instructor, the clothing varies from village to village too.  The second passage was about the 3 volcanoes surrounding Lake Atitlan, and the third was about a “spirit” of the lake that washes away the sins of the people (ie: washing clothes, cars, motorcycles in the lake) every afternoon.  Interesting.

 Here’s an excerpt I found on the internet that explains Xocomil:

 A special phenomenon of the Atitlan Lake is a strong wind known as “Xocomil”, a word that etymolocally comes from the Xocom kaqchile voices that means sins, in other words the wind picks up the sins of the population living around the lake.

That wind occurs at noon time, when the warm winds coming from the south encounters the cold winds coming from the highlands. When they mix they result in a water movement which generates strong waves.

Here is a picture of the 4 of us with our instructors:



Top: Juan Carlos (my teacher), Manuel (Jeff's teacher), Jeff
Bottom: Me, Vicenta (Brooke's teacher), Brooke, Celeste (Lynn's teacher), Lynn
 Marta asked us at lunch to go with her to the store down by the lake between our Spanish classes and dinner.  This store has American, Asian, Italian, etc. types of foods. Marta does not know what a lot of it is, as the labels are in English. She was interested in knowing what the foods are so that she can make them for other students from the school who stay here.  So, after class Lynn and I went to the store with her. We explained tarter sauce, instant soups (the concept of instant was amazing to her- ready in 10 minutes?!), etc. to her in the store.  Some foods are difficult to explain without the Spanish knowledge.  Sesame oil?

When walking down the road, I was walking in front of Marta and Lynn so that we could give way to the tuk-tuks and cars.  When I turned around to talk to them, I saw the sweetest scene.  Marta and Lynn were walking arm-in-arm and Marta was reviewing her English with Lynn.  The conversation went something like this…

“Donde – where?”
“Yes.”
“Que – what?”
“Yes.”
“Como – how?”
“Yes.”
“Quien – who?”
“Yes.”
“Galleta – cookie?” (big smile on face)
“Yes.”

Marta is so excited to be learning English.  By the end of dinner tonight she successfully said, “Where is the cookie?” in English.  So sweet!

Last night was the worst night’s sleep.  Two dogs argued all night long!  Neither changed their location and one was located near us.  They barked back and forth to each other all night.  Just when they would stop and you would begin to go to sleep, a firework would go off.  Really? 3 am, 4 am and you’re still doing fireworks? We're told it's Catholics celebrating a wedding or some obscure saint.  Do you not sleep? Hopefully tonight will be better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment